Minorities Account for 92% of U.S. Population Growth

Story tools

Comments

A A AResize

Print

Share and Email

 


From 2000 to 2010, the population growth in the United States was driven almost exclusively by racial and ethnic minorities, the Pew Hispanic Center reported Thursday.

Overall, racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 91.7 percent of the nation's population growth over the past 10 years. The non-Hispanic white population accounted for the remaining 8.3 percent of  growth.

Hispanics were responsible for 56 percent of the nation's population growth over the past decade. There are now 50.5 million Latinos living in the U.S., according to the 2010 Census, up from 35.3 million in 2000, making Latinos the nation's largest minority group and 16.3 percent of the total population.

There are 196.8 million whites in the U.S. (accounting for 63.7 percent of the total population), 37.7 million blacks (12.2 percent) and 14.5 million Asians (4.7 percent). Six million non-Hispanics, or 1.9 percent of the U.S. population, checked more than one race.

Read more here

 

Comments

 
Anonymous

Posted May 15 2011

200+ years U.S. citizens cross the border to have sex with women , so too many are really U.S. citizens already ?
200+ years women from deep inside Mexico come to the border to cross to the U.S. to have thier child , go back to Mexico with their U.S. child and never return , the child has kids so they are U.S. citizens (200+) years . there are many U.S. citizens that reside in Mexico .
On both sides of the border Large families lived before the border existed , so it's not possible to know from what side you really belong in a family , brothers and sisters aunts and so forth. on a 20 mile buffer at the border ?????

Disclaimer: Comments do not necessarily reflect the views of New America Media. NAM reserves the right to edit or delete comments. Once published, comments are visible to search engines and will remain in their archives. If you do not want your identity connected to comments on this site, please refrain from commenting or use a handle or alias instead of your real name.