Since the beginning of time, human beings have always wanted to feel safe from threats. Nowadays technology is part of our lives, and due to the leap to the networks, threats have also been generated. Now we not only seek to be safe in the physical world, but also digitally, creating a new need for security. Cybersecurity has been developed to address this issue that not only affects us but entire countries. In the following article, we will learn about the concept of cyber security, its different types of approach, its features and much more.
What is cyber security?
Cybersecurity is a set of practices that protect computers, servers, cell phones and other devices from various risks. These risks have the capacity to affect both individuals and large organizations in their processes, complicating their development. With the development of technology, threats are becoming more dangerous and difficult to eradicate.
The term cybersecurity involves a wide variety of contexts, some simpler than others. Each one of them seeks the same thing, to provide the necessary mechanisms and processes to secure data and information. You will have access to this data if you are the owner or if you have some kind of authorization.
Next, you will see some approaches to cyber security in different categories:
- Network security: It includes the security measures necessary to prevent network attacks on companies or web pages.
- Application security: It is responsible for ensuring that applications run smoothly and that there are no data leaks.
- Information security: Protects the privacy of information at every stage, from delivery to storage.
- Operational security: It is made up of the processes and decision-making intended to protect the company's data security structure.
- Recovery in case of disasters: It consists of protocols or emergency plans that are executed when networks are attacked or affected by an unexpected event.
- User security: It trains the user who uses the devices on how to avoid threats and how to act to eliminate them.
Cyber security features
In order for the cyber security of a company or organization to be good, it must fulfill certain characteristics. The most important features that should be present in the cyber security of any person or business are:
Data storage control
There are several ways to store data, either by physical units or in the cloud. In any case, there must be control measures with these storage devices. The use of strong passwords and data encryption are perfect measures to control data storage.
The fewer people who have access to the data, the safer the data will be from any malpractice. Any good cybersecurity strategy should start by reducing the number of permissions to information. It is also a great idea to limit roles, this will not allow them to edit or manipulate the information.
On the other hand, data segmentation helps to identify possible causes of attack. In addition, possible leaks do not compromise all information in the worst case scenario.
Analysis and risk management
One of the best ways to improve a company's cyber security is to know its weaknesses. By knowing the factors that are failing, it will only be necessary to make corrections to strengthen the security system. The more in-depth the analysis, the better the strategies for developing a good cyber security.
Cyber attacks often occur at unexpected moments, and by the time you detect them it may be too late. We recommend you to regularly monitor the databases to ensure the security of the information. In the case of an attack, there must be strategies in place to prevent the disappearance of the information, such as a backup.
Companies operate according to different policies, however, they must have some that increase the security of their data. Some cases of necessary security policies are those that verify the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data. Depending on the company, security policies may be more demanding than others, however this is due to the level of importance of the data.
Cyber security tips
We want your and company's data to be safe and secure at all times. Here are some useful tips that will improve the security of your data:
- Upgrade your equipment and software: You must have the best resources available to combat any type of threat.
- Staff training: Not everyone in a company knows how to secure data effectively. That is why holding seminars on cybersecurity is a good way to inculcate such important knowledge.
- Security per level: Every company has different areas, all of which must be secured. In case of a cyber-attack in any of the areas, the other areas will be safe while the situation is being fixed.
- Develop protocols against cyber-attacks: Sometimes, attacks on the company break through security barriers. There must be protocols in place to identify and eliminate the threat, and to secure the information during the attack.
Cyber security tools
To ensure data protection, it is necessary to have the best cyber security tools. Check here some of the most useful ones:
- Antivirus software: It is the main tool in the cyber security of electronic devices. Among its functions, it detects corrupted files and viruses on the computer, and also removes them.
- Network firewall: Despite being one of the simplest tools, the firewall in cyber security has become a must-have. Because you can block malware access thanks to parameters that you can define yourself.
- Proxy server: Its function is to be an intermediary between us and the network. Useful for blocking websites that may be dangerous.
- Vulnerability scanner: With this tool you can perform an inspection and find out the weaknesses of the company's infrastructure.